Thursday, September 12, 2013

Faces - Young and Old

It has been quite a while since I last posted an article on this Blog. There are a number of issues on which I want to write … but after the marathon series on Sino-Bhutan border issues, I seem to have drained of all intellectual juice - I developed a mental block. But some readers keep reminding me that I have been quiet for far too long. So here goes ……. Luckily, I am more fortunate than most - because when I run out of words, I can make up for the deficit by resorting to posting photos of which I have plentiful :)

I love photographing rural faces - there is so much character there. The first photo below of an old man was photographed in Punakha - on the way to Talo. I think he was herding cows.

The old man below was photographed in Khoma village in Lhuntse. There is something nice about the face.

This old man with a strange looking cap is a Sharchop - strange that I cannot remember where in the East I photographed him. I normally remember the location of every photo I shoot quite vividly.


The little girl below was photographed in Yadi, Mongar. I like that look of dangerous defiance in her eyes. She looks sooooo audacious!


This pretty little girl was photographed during Paro Tsechu some 8-9 years ago.

I caught the young lady below in Dungkar, Kurtoe in the Eastern part of the country. I love her traditional Bhutanese hair cut and the Koma Jabtha made of old coins. They are rarely seen these days.


The mischievous boy with a plastic bowl on his head was photographed in Dungkar school in Kurtoe. He was eating his lunch of pre-cooked noodles. The moment he saw me training my camera on him, he turned the bowl upside down on his head and gave me a genuine beaming smile that lit up his face. Those of you who have read the Mad Magazine cannot fail to notice the striking resemblance to Mr. Newman - the hero of the Mag.


The last photo shows an old lady and her multiple moods. I photographed her in Paro Tsechu some years back. As I watched her talk to her young companion, I noticed the fleeting change in her facial expressions. It looks like she is crying - she is not. Strangely the changes were not the result of her emphasis on whatever she was saying - but it was brought on by the words her companion was saying. This is the first time I noticed that a person’s facial expressions could undergo changes based on what the other person was saying.




PS: Double-click on the image to display a larger version of the photo.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a amazing photos you got. Incredible!you let these vivid pictures is present to our eyes. those pepoles emphatically retiring and unassuming.
    I really want to travel to this country,to get to know them. but this country Entry requirements are relatively high.
    In the future, I think the officials of Bhutan need to try to loosen up on the rules for admitting people into the country. Tourism is vital for a country economy, obtain large sums of foreign exchange, industry for jobs and more.
    also Some accommodation between conservation and tourism is essential.

    hey, Yeshey Dorji, your profile Image, your cap very interesting, you look like a Japanese samurai. jejeejeeeee ;-) Don't get angry, It´s joking. Don't take it seriously. ;-)
    anyway , I like your photograph.

    Joy Hu
    From Spain


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy,

      Thank you for the comment. I a glad that you like my pics.

      There is no restriction on visiting Bhutan .... if you want to visit, let me know. My email address is:

      yesheydorji@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. Hi Joy,

      I dont know where you posted that last comment ... I am unable to find it :)-

      Anyway ... thanks for the invitation ... if I do come to Spain I will take up your offer

      Delete